Increase your Computer Security With WinPatrol
Posted by absnet on 8 January 2010
Sometimes, Antivirus is not enough to protect a computer. Using more security softwares really not recommended option, that it makes your computer run slower, hang, memory conflict etc. One of good option to enhance your computer security, with a powerful features but small in size is : WinPatrol.
With WinPatrol, you can increase your computer security without much sacrifice your Memory and CPU usage.
When we install a new program or another applications, or there’s an automatic program that install itself without our permission, WinPatrol will warn us and ask for our permission. In this way, we always able to decide whether a program run background, run when needed or not run at all.
Some of WinPatrol features is as follows:
- Remove or disable startup program.Application to control our startup application. It should be mandatory software to computer user that want to control and arrange any automatic program load at startup. This feature is similar to another free program, such as autoruns
- IE Helpers – Browser Helper Object – Toolbar. When we install a particular program, sometimes the program automatically insert a small program in our web browser, such as Internet Explorer. This program, besides makes our computer run slower, break our privacy, sometimes often open a hole in view of computer security. With WinPatrol, you can decide to keep or remove this program.
- Scheduled Task. Windows has scheduled task feature, which run an application in scheduled time. Sometimes, bad program use this feature to run itself at specific time. WinPatrol able to see and arrange any program listed here.
- Service Manager
- Delete or suspend any running program (Active Task). This feature is similar to Task Manager, and can be an alternative when task manager is disabled by virus, for example.
- Showing hidden files,
- Cookies Management and Cookie Filtering
- Monitor file type association and change to default state (if needed). This feature useful when usual file type usually cannot be run. For example, when exe file association changed by virus.
- Monitor Hosts File
- Blocking repeated warning messages.
For complete feature, please check http://www.winpatrol.com/features.html or see help file included in the program. If you check the features above, you can say that there’s many similar application in this area, but WinPatrol has smallest size, and smaller CPU/Memory usage. Besides, their protection level is good.
WinPatrol usage is pretty easy, and with a simple interface. We just choose tab or menus available. When we close the program, WinPatrol will run background (icon in systray) and checking and give warning to us about any threat.